OWNING A QUILT SHOP
as told by Barbara Hutchinson
Barbara was kind enough to attend our September Guild Meeting and give us an overview of shop ownership.
- Barbara's Purchase Order Book and her camera are vital tools to keep the products humming along and stock plentiful. Her Purchase Order Book keeps her informed about current orders, arrival times, back orders. It also assists with her monthly budget by identifying which month may have a low volume of purchases, so she can have flexibility to purchase from that unexpected vendor who happens by. She is visited by at least 5 fabric representatives every 2 or 4 months.The camera assists in reminding her of the great fabric choices she has made previously and should arrive soon along with free patterns, etc.
- She tends to order more from companies who have very few back orders, are great to work with, and offer reasonable shipping costs. Customer special orders are possible, just ask.
- On a weekly basis, Barbara will check the inventory on the computer, followed by walking around the shop to visually check inventory.
- Clearance Room: Moda offers sale fabric for $6/yard which is an excellent way to provide customers with low cost fabric. Additionally, current inventory is moved to the Clearance Room if that fabric did its job and there is only a small amount remaining. Some fabrics find their way to clearance simply to make room for a new line. It would be a good idea to periodically check Facebook for new fabric collections. That could mean there may be some bargains to be had in the Clearance Room.
- There are currently three instructors providing quilting classes at Cozy. All are well-known and excellent instructors in their field.
- The following receive a 15% discount on purchases:
- Police, Firefighters, EMT personnel
- Groups of 8 or more visiting the shop
- Purchases for Quilts of Valor
- The Cozy Quilter Quilt Shop is a Project Linus drop off point. And hosts numerous clubs.
- Open Sit and Sew days are each Tuesday ad Friday, all day.
- Thank you Barbara for an informative and interesting presentation. And a bigger thank you for our Goodie Bags!!